Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Gospel of John - Examine the Witnesses

Chapter 8 – the witness of the adulterous woman – “Woman, where are they?  Did no one condemn you?  And she said, “No one, Lord.”  And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go your way and sin no more.”

She and her lover deserved death under the Mosaic Law.  She was brought by the religious leaders to Jesus to test and trap Him.  His response to their badgering, “He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”   Slowly they all dropped their stones and left.  The only one qualified to throw a stone was Jesus and He told her to go and sin no more.  Imagine you are the woman.  You’re thinking to yourself, “How can I live such a life?  I’m very good at sinning and I can’t live a life without sin.  It’s impossible for me.  Then what did Jesus mean?  What did He want me to understand?”

Though we’re not specifically told, I believe the woman stayed to listen to the interchange between Jesus and the Jewish leaders.    And in doing so, she found the answers that Jesus wanted her and us to understand:

  • v24  That is why I said that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am who I claim to be, you will die in your sins.”
  • v31-32   “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings.  And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
  • v34-36 Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave of sin.  A slave is not a permanent member of the family, but a son is part of the family forever.  So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.”


No comments:

Post a Comment