Monday, September 23, 2013

HELL – Does It Really Exist and Why Would a Loving God Send Anyone There?

Continuing our consideration of the Lake of Fire / Hell:
 


Hell, like Heaven, is difficult for us to fully grasp now, because any comparison to what we know and experience in this life is incapable of preparing us to fully understand what will be eternal.  However, we are given some indications:

  • In Jesus’ own words, NOT the choice you want to make:
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one
hand than to go into the unquenchable fires of hell with two hands.  If your foot causes
you to sin, cut it off. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one foot than to be thrown
into hell with two feet.  And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It’s better to enter
 the Kingdom of God with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 
where the maggots never die and the fire never goes out.’ Mark 9:43-48 New Living Translation
 

“Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into
the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons.  For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed
 me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink.  I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me
into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and
you didn’t visit me.’   “Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty
or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?’ “And he will answer, ‘I tell you
 the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were
 refusing to help me.’  And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will
go into eternal life.”           Matthew 25:41-46 New Living Translation

What impression are you left with when you hear “fire, maggots and         eternal punishment?”

  • Revelation 19:20 (previously cited) “thrown alive into the fiery lake of burning sulfur.”
Sulfur becomes molten at 200° Celsius / 392° Fahrenheit and the smell has been          likened to “rotten eggs.”   Does this sound like a place where you want to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment