Thursday, July 2, 2015

Gospel of John - Examine the Witnesses

Chapter 5 – the witness of a lame man – verse 6, “When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, “Do you wish to get well?””

This is a key question.  Some people would rather remain as they are – hurting, struggling, emotionally scarred, lacking purpose and fulfillment, looking for change, tired of making the same bad choices.   Perhaps you can insert another excuse.   Yes – excuse!  Like the lame man Jesus asks each of us, “Do you want to get well?”  Now the immediate application in this passage was to allow the man to walk.  But later in verse 14 Jesus said to him, “Behold, you have become well (physically); do not sin anymore, so that nothing worse may befall you (spiritually).”  (Clarification added in parenthesis)

Jesus makes the point that our sin separates us from God and that separation will be eternal. If we’re honest with ourselves, we know we cannot live a life without sin.  A life without any sin ever would please God, but since we’re  incapable of this we must  respond to his question, “Do you wish to get well?”   To the Jewish religious leaders who needed to be made well, but refused, Jesus said:

“I tell you the truth; those who listen to my message and believe in God who sent me have eternal life.  They will never be condemned for their sins, but they have passed from death into life.  … The Father gave me these works to accomplish, and they prove that He sent me.  And the Father who sent me has testified about me Himself.  You have never heard His voice and seem Him face to face, and you  do not have His message in your hearts, because you do not believe me – the one He sent to you.  You search the Scripture because you think they give you eternal life.  But the Scriptures point to me!  You refuse to come to me to receive this life.”  (verses  24, 36a-40)


Jesus is inviting you to make a wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment