Chapter 15 – the invitation of Jesus – “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing.”
Once again Jesus makes a very bold statement. In the previous chapter of John’s Gospel, Jesus indicated no one could come to God the Father unless they come through Him. And now, “Apart from Me you can do nothing.” Jesus is not being politically correct, all inclusive or tolerant of other beliefs. So do you reject Jesus or do you consider the proof that has been offered (see previous blog postings)?
Still uncertain? Consider Jesus’ emphasis in this chapter of “abiding” in Him:
- v2 expect God to work in your life as a vine-dresser prunes the branches to result in more fruit
- v4 abide and stay close and attached to the vine
- v7 abide in the words of Jesus and pray to Him
- v8 abide to prove you are His disciple
- v12 abide in Jesus’ love and show it to others
Invite Jesus to show you the joy of abiding in Him.