Matthew – the Gospel of Fulfillment Chapter 23 Woes for Hypocrites
This is one of the most unfortunate descriptions that Jesus gave about those who should have recognized who He is and why He had come. But just the opposite is true. Consider His description of the “religious” – those who had decided to come to God how they believed was right, rather than by what God had said:
1. You do not enter the kingdom of heaven and prevent others as well.
2. You ignore the Great Commandment and strive for outward pious appearance.
3. You keep the people from coming to God.
4. You are blind guides more concerned about material things.
5. You meticulously observe your own man-made laws and ignore justice, mercy and faithfulness.
6. You are meticulous about eating utensils, but ignore the deceit and selfishness within them.
7. You are like white washed tombs, but full of death, hypocrisy and lawlessness.
8. You are like your fore-fathers, you also will kill God’s messenger.
And yet as Jesus made these observations He did not do so to condemn them (or us), but to get them to see the error of their ways. He was extending them the opportunity to repent (change the direction of their lives) and come into a relationship with God through Him. The offer doesn’t expire until you do.